by Karen Corrigan
A topic of increasing interest for chief marketing officers is brand management in the digital world. Today, even well developed and established healthcare brands are being challenged by complex competitive dynamics driven by reform, industry consolidation, and care transformation. Add to that the rapid expansion of web, social and mobile technologies and the major investments health systems are making in clinical information systems such as electronic health records, patient and physician portals, marketers are finding that the complexity of building and managing brands in the digital space is also increasing.
Success requires a proactive, focused and purposeful plan to build and leverage brands across multiple platforms to build equity in one core brand. Marketing executives must address:
- Building and managing domain and digital brand portfolios
- Digital brand architecture and naming structures
- Brand identity and consistency across web, social & mobile platforms
- Strategies for multi-facility, multi-services and multi-market systems
- Branding, positioning and leveraging enterprise IT/EHR/portals
- Integrated, cross channel (off-line and on) branded content strategies
- Managing brand experience and customer engagement
Digital marketers Lee Gwaltney and Jessica Carlson (Sentara Healthcare) will be joining me at the 15th Annual Greystone.Net Healthcare Internet Conference (November 7-9, 2011; J.W. Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes) to talk about this topic. They’ll also share how Sentara is approaching digital brand management to extend and unify their brand across web, social and mobile sites, as well as how they are leveraging their electronic health record (EHR), patient portal, and other IT capabilities to build brand equity. Our session will be held Monday, November 7 at 4:15 p.m.
Hope to see you there – I’ll be posting our presentation deck later on. Just let me know if you’d like a copy.