This week is National Nurses Week - it’s celebrated each year from May 6 to May 12, Florence Nightingale’s birthday. Across America, registered nurses are being saluted for their dedication and commitment to taking care of the sick, preventing disease and improving our health.
All of us at Corrigan Partners want to express our thanks to the nearly 3.1 million registered nurses nationwide for your tireless labors in our hospitals, doctors’ offices, nursing centers, schools, parishes, businesses, homes and communities.
And we want to shout out a special “thanks” to our own Sarah Cowherd, RN, BSN, who works at Sentara Heart Hospital; blogs on nursing, technology and social media as SarahBethRN.com; and consults with our clients on social media strategies.
Some Quick Facts about Nurses*
- Total licensed registered nurses in US: 3.1 million
- Total licensed RNs working in nursing in US: 2.6 million
- Percentage of employed RNs working in hospitals: 62.2%
- Average age of employed RNs: 45.5 years old
- Percentage of male RNs: 6.6%
- Percentage of RNs with baccalaureate or higher degree: 50%
- Projected job growth for RNs 2008 – 2018: 581,500 jobs
Learn more from the *American Nurses Association at www.nursingworld.org.